Landslide Susceptibility Mapping using Certainty factor, Index of Entropy and Logistic Regression models in GIS


In this study, landslide susceptibility assessment of Mugling-Narayanghat road and its surrounding area has been made using bivariate (certainty factor and index of entropy) and multivariate (logistic regression) models. At first, a landslide inventory map was prepared using earlier reports and aerial photographs as well as by carrying out a field survey. As a result, 321 landslides were mapped and out of which 241 (75 %) were randomly selected for building landslide susceptibility models, while the remaining 80 (25 %) were used for validating the models. The effectiveness of landslide susceptibility assessment using GIS and statistics is based on the appropriate selection of the factors which play a dominant role in slope stability. In this case study, the following landslide conditioning factors were evaluated: slope gradient; slope aspect; altitude; plan curvature; lithology; land use; distance from faults, rivers, and roads; topographic wetness index; stream power index; and sediment transport index.





Published Year: